Kyoto Machiya Private Guesthouses
Hana – Bamboo Villa
A fully renovated, authentic Kyomachiya with over 100 years of history. The open-air bath featuring a Shigaraki-style tub and adjacent garden provide a feeling of spaciousness. Hana Bamboo Villa is popular with guests for offering an extremely relaxing environment.
Located in Kyoto's Higashiyama area, Hana Bamboo Villa is within walking distance of Gion Shijo, the center of Kyoto's bustling downtown area. Hana Bamboo Villa is conveniently located just a 5-minute walk from Kiyomizu Gojo Station. By taxi, it is just a 10-minute ride to Kyoto Station.
The property is an authentic Kyomachiya built over 100 years ago. While fully renovated to provide our guests with optimal accomodations, original construction materials can be found throughout the property, including the lattices, trusses, beams, and columns. Guests are welcomed with a tasteful exterior and a refined interior featuring a modern Japanese design.
The elegance of modern Japanese styling and a functional layout
The property features a spacious living room, a dining room, and a kitchen to provide a pleasant and convenient environment for both short and long-term stays by large groups.
Inside the property, you'll find fixtures such as a dining table that seats up to 6 people, a 55-inch large-screen television, and a spacious kitchen counter that is 2 meters wide. This space is ideal for enjoying pleasant times with family or friends.
Move into the back of the property, and you'll discover a Japanese-style bedroom and a side deck from which you can enjoy a relaxing moment gazing at the garden. At night, lights illuminate the space so you can peek through the half-height door windows and enjoy nighttime garden viewing. Enjoy a unique atmosphere unlike anything you've ever experienced.
On the second floor, you'll find Western and Japanese-style rooms that can both be used as bedrooms. The luxurious Western-style room is a twin room with 2 single beds with an elegant headboard. The ceiling features an exposed round beam and a custom-made lantern-style light to add to the atmosphere. The Japanese-style room features antique wood lattice doors and a lantern-style light to provide a distinctly Japanese atmosphere. When staying with 4 or more guests, the 1st floor Japanese-style room may also be used as a bedroom. Relax as you enjoy staring out into the illuminated garden.
Towards the rear of the 1st floor you will find the toilet, sink, and shower. Outside, there is a Shigaraki-style round bathtub. The tub is larger in size and big enough for enjoy a bath with your child. The adjacent garden provides a feeling of spaciousness to create an incredibly relaxing environment.
- 1st Floor: Japanese-style room (futon set x 2)
2nd Floor: Japanese-style room (futon set x 2), Western-style room (single bed x 2)
- 1st Floor: Sink, bathroom (bathtub, shower)
- Vehicle parking
- 1st Floor: 1
2nd Floor: 1
- Max. occupants
- 6 people
Facility fixtures and amenities
- Facility fixtures
- Wi-Fi, large-screen TV, speakers (Bose), Apple TV, Netflix
Heated floors, air conditioning, washing machine, humidifier, vacuum cleaner, dryer, iron, and more
- Electric range, refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, electric water pot, table top electric cooking top
Frying pan, cutting board, knives, scissors, bottle opener, peeler, and more
- Rice bowls, soup bowls, plates (large and medium), cohpsticks, spoons, forks, knives, and more
- Drinking glasses
- Long glasses, wine glasses, ice bucket, sake server and cups, and more
- Tea serving set
- Teapot, tea cups, coffee cups
- Green tea, coffee
- Umbrellas (lent to guests)
Full range of amenities
Slippers, toothbrush, cotton swabs, cosmetic cotton
Hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, bath salts
Yukata, obi, tabi (traditional Japanese robe set)
Bath towels, face towels
- Staff will be on site to greet guests, complete check-in, and provide an explanation of facility fixtures and amenities.
- Please order breakfast by 12:00pm the previous day. Breakfast will be delivered to your room roughly between 8:00am to 9:00am the following day.
- Feel free to consult us for assistance with matters such as arranging breakfast, restaurant reservations, sightseeing plans, or reserving a taxi.
- Sightseeing advice
- Feel free to contact us for assistance with your sightseeing plans. Our staff will be happy to help you.
- Please make a reservation in advance. We also hold special events from time to time. Make sure to check our activity page for details.
Tea and coffee
We provide green tea from the tea house Ippodo and Ogawa Coffee, both historic Kyoto brands.
We provided specially selected tableware, glasses, and cookware and encourage our guests to enjoy the experience of purchasing, cooking, and eating local ingredients.
Our bedrooms feature down comforters from the famed Kyoto brand Daito Shingu and a portion of our facilities use Simmons mattresses. We provide a pleasant sleeping environment.
Facilities and amenities
We provide the latest room fixtures and a full range of high-quality amenities.
This service delivers Japanese bento-box meals or a traditional Kyoto Japanese breakfast right to your room. Take this opportunity to enjoy the unique Kyoto ingredients and the traditional food culture of Kyoto.
Staff will guide you through check-in, provide a tour of the facility, and are available to provide advice regarding sightseeing during your stay.
- Hana – Bamboo Villa
- 312-4 Kitatouryou-cho Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto 605-0918