Kyoto Machiya Private Guesthouses
Hana – Moonrain Villa
A fully renovated, authentic Kyomachiya with over 100 years of history. Hana Moonrain Villa offers a spacious one-floor living area that is particularly popular for its user-friendly kitchen.
Located northwest of Kyoto Station, the Villa lies to the west of Nijo Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This Villa also offers convenient access as it is located within a 12-minute walk of three train stations: Nijo Station on the Kyoto Municipal Subway Tozai Line, and Nijo Station and Enmachi Station on the JR Sanyo Line.
The property is an authentic Kyomachiya building in Japan's Taisho Era (early 1900s). While fully renovated the property to provide our guests with optimal accomodations, original construction materials can be found throughout the property, including the lattices, trusses, beams, and columns, and the room interior features a stylish design. Guests are welcomed with a tasteful exterior and a refined interior featuring a modern Japanese design.
This Villa is located in a very convenient area. Three doors down the street is a public bath that is popular with local residents. Walk an additional 10-minutes and from there and you'll find businesses such as a bakery, a cafeteria, and stylish supermarket featuring a wide assortment of products.
A spacious one-floor living area with an elegant and relaxing atmosphere
The space between the entryway and the living room is separated by stylish antique door, which opens to the spacious one-floor living area. This area features a dining table that seats 6 people and spacious kitchen with a counter. A large-screen TV and a relaxing sofa help complete the relaxing and comfortable living space.
On the 2nd floor you'll find a simple yet elegant authentic Japanese-style room featuring the traditional feel of tatami mats. The rustic counter is an original piece that we restored for this room. Futon sets are available to convert this room into a bedroom (sleeps up to 3 people).
Also on the 2nd floor is a twin room with 2 single beds. The room features a vaulted ceiling to provide a spacious feel. In the middle and connected to the Japanese-style room is a Western-style room featuring a double bed.
Towards the rear of the 1st floor, you'll find the bathroom and sink. The bathroom design allows you to relaxing time in the bath while staring out into the garden. Toilets are located on both floors to help provide a pleasant stay for a large number of guests.
- 2nd Floor: Japanese-style room (futon set x 3), Western-style room (single bed x 2), Western-style room (double bed x 1)
- 1st Floor: Sink, bathroom (bathtub, shower)
- Vehicle parking
- 1st Floor: 1
2nd Floor: 1
- Max. occupants
- 5 people
Facility fixtures and amenities
- Facility fixtures
- Wi-Fi, large-screen TV, speakers (Bose), Apple TV, Netflix
Heated floors, air conditioning, washing machine, humidifier, vacuum cleaner, dryer, iron, and more
- Electric range, refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, electric water pot, table top electric cooking top
Frying pan, cutting board, knives, scissors, bottle opener, peeler, and more
- Rice bowls, soup bowls, plates (large and medium), cohpsticks, spoons, forks, knives, and more
- Drinking glasses
- Long glasses, wine glasses, ice bucket, sake server and cups, and more
- Tea serving set
- Teapot, tea cups, coffee cups
- Green tea, coffee
- Umbrellas (lent to guests)
Full range of amenities
Slippers, toothbrush, cotton swabs, cosmetic cotton
Hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, bath salts
Yukata, obi, tabi (traditional Japanese robe set)
Bath towels, face towels
- Staff will be on site to greet guests, complete check-in, and provide an explanation of facility fixtures and amenities.
- Please order breakfast by 12:00pm the previous day. Breakfast will be delivered to your room roughly between 8:00am to 9:00am the following day.
- Feel free to consult us for assistance with matters such as arranging breakfast, restaurant reservations, sightseeing plans, or reserving a taxi.
- Sightseeing advice
- Feel free to contact us for assistance with your sightseeing plans. Our staff will be happy to help you.
- Please make a reservation in advance. We also hold special events from time to time. Make sure to check our activity page for details.
Tea and coffee
We provide green tea from the tea house Ippodo and Ogawa Coffee, both historic Kyoto brands.
We provided specially selected tableware, glasses, and cookware and encourage our guests to enjoy the experience of purchasing, cooking, and eating local ingredients.
Our bedrooms feature down comforters from the famed Kyoto brand Daito Shingu and a portion of our facilities use Simmons mattresses. We provide a pleasant sleeping environment.
Facilities and amenities
We provide the latest room fixtures and a full range of high-quality amenities.
This service delivers Japanese bento-box meals or a traditional Kyoto Japanese breakfast right to your room. Take this opportunity to enjoy the unique Kyoto ingredients and the traditional food culture of Kyoto.
Staff will guide you through check-in, provide a tour of the facility, and are available to provide advice regarding sightseeing during your stay.
- Hana – Moonrain Villa
- 11-5 Nishinokyo Samaryo-cho, Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto 604−8491