Kyoto Machiya Private Guesthouses
Hana – Sonnet Villa
A fully renovated, authentic Kyomachiya with over 100 years of history. This Villa features a retro atmosphere created by bold antique furniture and a spacious garden with a side terrace.
Hana Sonnet Villa is Located near the Kitano shopping district, affectionately called the kitchen of Nishijin. The Villa is also close to Nijo Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
This property is a fully renovated, authentic Kyomachiya with over 100 years of history. Enjoy an exterior featuring the intriguing elements unique to Kyomachiya such as lattice, a tiled roof, and bamboo blinds. This Villa is slightly larger compared to other properties in the Hana series. Including the compact tea room, there are a total of 4 rooms and the Villa can accommodate up to 9 people.
A retro atmosphere featuring antique furniture with a large garden and veranda
From the entrance, the Japanese-style room, living room, and Japanese-style room are all connected, and there is a large garden in front of the Japanese-style room at the back of the property. This is an authentic Japanese garden with stepping stones, moss, stone lanterns, and a water planter. There is also a large veranda that looks like a terrace, perfect for enjoying reading with a cup of coffee while feeling nature's breeze.
The living & dining area features a dining table with the bold feel of a British antique. Normally, this round table seats 4 people, but the table can be expanded for larger groups and transformed into a space that seats 6 people.
The 2nd floor has one Western-style and one Japanese-style room. The luxurious Western-style room is a twin room with 2 single beds with an elegant headboard. The spacious Japanese-style room can be converted into a bedroom (sleeps up to 3 people). When staying with 4 or more guests, the 1st floor Japanese-style room may also be used as a bedroom. Here, you can relax as you enjoy views of the illuminated garden.
Sinks are installed on both the 1st and 2nd floors to provide convenience and comfort for large groups. The 1st floor bathroom features a bathtub with views of the garden and a rainfall shower. We recommend enjoying the bath together with family or friends. The 2nd floor features a large wash basin and ceilings with exposed beams to provide a spacious and relaxing atmosphere.
- 1st Floor: Japanese-style room (futon set x 3), Japanese-style room (futon set x 2),
2nd Floor: Japanese-style room (futon set x 3), Western-style room (single bed x 2)
- 1st Floor: Sink, bathroom (shower, bathtub)
2nd Floor: Sink, bathroom (shower)
- Vehicle parking
- 1st Floor: 1
2nd Floor: 1
- Max. occupants
- 9 people
Facility fixtures and amenities
- Facility fixtures
- Wi-Fi, large-screen TV, speakers (Bose), Apple TV, Netflix
Heated floors, air conditioning, washing machine, humidifier, vacuum cleaner, dryer, iron, and more
- Electric range, refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, electric water pot, table top electric cooking top
Frying pan, cutting board, knives, scissors, bottle opener, peeler, and more
- Rice bowls, soup bowls, plates (large and medium), cohpsticks, spoons, forks, knives, and more
- Drinking glasses
- Long glasses, wine glasses, ice bucket, sake server and cups, and more
- Tea serving set
- Teapot, tea cups, coffee cups
- Green tea, coffee
- Umbrellas (lent to guests)
Full range of amenities
Slippers, toothbrush, cotton swabs, cosmetic cotton
Hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, bath salts
Yukata, obi, tabi (traditional Japanese robe set)
Bath towels, face towels
- Staff will be on site to greet guests, complete check-in, and provide an explanation of facility fixtures and amenities.
- Please order breakfast by 12:00pm the previous day. Breakfast will be delivered to your room roughly between 8:00am to 9:00am the following day.
- Feel free to consult us for assistance with matters such as arranging breakfast, restaurant reservations, sightseeing plans, or reserving a taxi.
- Sightseeing advice
- Feel free to contact us for assistance with your sightseeing plans. Our staff will be happy to help you.
- Please make a reservation in advance. We also hold special events from time to time. Make sure to check our activity page for details.
Tea and coffee
We provide green tea from the tea house Ippodo and Ogawa Coffee, both historic Kyoto brands.
We provided specially selected tableware, glasses, and cookware and encourage our guests to enjoy the experience of purchasing, cooking, and eating local ingredients.
Our bedrooms feature down comforters from the famed Kyoto brand Daito Shingu and a portion of our facilities use Simmons mattresses. We provide a pleasant sleeping environment.
Facilities and amenities
We provide the latest room fixtures and a full range of high-quality amenities.
This service delivers Japanese bento-box meals or a traditional Kyoto Japanese breakfast right to your room. Take this opportunity to enjoy the unique Kyoto ingredients and the traditional food culture of Kyoto.
Staff will guide you through check-in, provide a tour of the facility, and are available to provide advice regarding sightseeing during your stay.
- Hana – Sonnet Villa
- 413-36 Juyonken-cho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, 602-8164