Kyoto Machiya Private Guesthouses
Hana – Thring Villa
A fully renovated, authentic Kyomachiya with over 100 years of history. Guests are welcomed by an extraordinary atmosphere featuring an aerial 2nd floor garden and a tea room with elevated floors.
This Villa is conveniently located a 10-minute walk from Kyoto Station and is just a 5 to 10-minute walk from the Kamogawa River, Sanjusangen-do Temple, and the Kyoto National Museum.
Hana Thring Villa is a fully renovated, authentic Kyomachiya with over 100 years of history. Guests are welcomed with a stylish exterior and a refined interior featuring a modern Japanese design. A dining table with a tabletop garden and a 2nd floor aerial garden, creations made possible by the bold playfulness of young gardeners and designers from Kyoto. A tea room designed to appear like it floats in the air is a spectacular sight.
Exciting space featuring a table with a tabletop garden and a floating tea room
The large living table features a magnificent tabletop garden designed by a professional gardener. This work uses plants and stones to represent running water. This table is one of the highlights of this property. There is also a "floating" tea room designed to appear as if it floats directly above the table, making this a creative living space.
The 1st floor bedroom features a double bed and a tatami mat area. This space can be used as a bedroom if you have many guests. The 2nd floor bedroom features two Simmons double beds to provide the highest level of sleeping comfort.
The 2nd floor bedroom has large windows that extend across the wall and provide views of the aerial garden. Water flows constantly in the garden, and the garden is illuminated at night for a soothing atmosphere that will heal the fatigue of the day. Next to the bedroom, there is a tea room space featuring a "floating" tea room that extends into a space with vaulted ceilings. This space expresses the unique aesthetic of the designer.
There sinks on the 1st and 2nd floors to provide comfort and convenience even if there are a large number of guests. On the 1st floor, there is a Shigaraki-style bathtub outside, allowing guests to enjoy an open-air bath. Enjoy as bath as you gaze out into the garden.
- 1st Floor: Western-style room (single bed x 1), tatami mat space (futon set x 2),
2nd Floor: Western-style room (double bed x 2)
- 1st Floor: Sink, bathroom (shower, bathtub) *open-air bath, Shigaraki-style tub
2nd Floor: Sink, bathroom (shower)
- Vehicle parking
- 1st Floor: 1
2nd Floor: 1
- Max. occupants
- 8 Person
Facility fixtures and amenities
- Facility fixtures
- Wi-Fi, large-screen TV, speakers (Bose), Apple TV, Netflix
Heated floors, air conditioning, washing machine, humidifier, vacuum cleaner, dryer, iron, and more
- Electric range, refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, electric water pot, table top electric cooking top
Frying pan, cutting board, knives, scissors, bottle opener, peeler, and more
- Rice bowls, soup bowls, plates (large and medium), cohpsticks, spoons, forks, knives, and more
- Drinking glasses
- Long glasses, wine glasses, ice bucket, sake server and cups, and more
- Tea serving set
- Teapot, tea cups, coffee cups
- Green tea, coffee
- Umbrellas (lent to guests)
Full range of amenities
Slippers, toothbrush, cotton swabs, cosmetic cotton
Hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, body soap, bath salts
Yukata, obi, tabi (traditional Japanese robe set)
Bath towels, face towels
- Staff will be on site to greet guests, complete check-in, and provide an explanation of facility fixtures and amenities.
- Please order breakfast by 12:00pm the previous day. Breakfast will be delivered to your room roughly between 8:00am to 9:00am the following day.
- Feel free to consult us for assistance with matters such as arranging breakfast, restaurant reservations, sightseeing plans, or reserving a taxi.
- Sightseeing advice
- Feel free to contact us for assistance with your sightseeing plans. Our staff will be happy to help you.
- Please make a reservation in advance. We also hold special events from time to time. Make sure to check our activity page for details.
Tea and coffee
We provide green tea from the tea house Ippodo and Ogawa Coffee, both historic Kyoto brands.
We provided specially selected tableware, glasses, and cookware and encourage our guests to enjoy the experience of purchasing, cooking, and eating local ingredients.
Our bedrooms feature down comforters from the famed Kyoto brand Daito Shingu and a portion of our facilities use Simmons mattresses. We provide a pleasant sleeping environment.
Facilities and amenities
We provide the latest room fixtures and a full range of high-quality amenities.
This service delivers Japanese bento-box meals or a traditional Kyoto Japanese breakfast right to your room. Take this opportunity to enjoy the unique Kyoto ingredients and the traditional food culture of Kyoto.
Staff will guide you through check-in, provide a tour of the facility, and are available to provide advice regarding sightseeing during your stay.
- Hana – Thring Villa
- 8-71 Honmachi, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, 605-0981